Is there anything better in the whole wide world than a mama?
My mama is still my hero and I have never for a moment doubted her love for me. I believe my boys have never had any reason to doubt my love for them. Mamas rock. All of us. We have the proof in our little ones who still see us through the stars in their eyes.
May is the month for Mommies Mother’s Day is sneaking up on us fast, so I just had to get together a list of books for you and your littles to celebrate the love only a mother and her child understands.
And this craft for you to do together? It rocks.
Mother’s Day Books
I have a mad crush on the Little Critter books, and this one is definitely a celebration of a mama’s patience and love.
I Love My Mommy Because… includes all the things a mommy does to show her love is shown in lovely illustrations of the animal world. Littles will love relating their own mamas’ actions to those of a mama cat, a kangaroo, an otter, and other adorable critters.
I mean, can you even? The Very Hungry Caterpillar celebrates mamas in this colorful book.
I Love You, Mommy is a heartwarming book that follows Little Bear as he learns to stop and listen to his mommy before he makes mistakes.
Oh, me. Oh, my. Just the cover of The Runaway Bunny makes me want to cuddle up with my boys and read, read, read. This book shows little just how big a mama’s love is. Which is why I loved it both as a child and as a mother. Plus, Margaret Wise Brown. That is all.
Mommy Snuggles is a sweet board book that pays tribute to a mama’s love through the animals that keep their young close and safe.
How to Raise a Mom is a set of hilarious role-reversal instructions from two siblings on how raise a happy, healthy mom. You will laugh. But not as much as your littles will.
My Mom Loves Me! is another sweet board book that illustrates all the ways a mama shows her love.
My Mother is Mine is another book that shows mama’s love through the love of various animals. Just look at that gorgeous cover.
What Not to Give Your Mom on Mother’s Day is a string of hilarious advice from a little boy. Don’t give her a bunch of flies unless she’s a spider? Your littles will cackle. Hopefully they won’t get any ideas…
Mercer Mayer rocks, so of course he has two mom-centric Little Critter books. In Happy Mother’s Day! your littles will love lifting flaps to discover Little Critter’s Mother’s Day plans.
Mother’s Day Mice might be my favorite mama book. Trying to find the perfect gift for Mama is hard sometimes, but Little Mouse comes up with a wonderful gift–a song. There’s a Story Time for this book if you want some fun activities to go with it.
Mom’s Beautiful Bouquet
This craft is fun, pretty, and easy for all ages. Plus, it’s just messy enough to make it interesting. Perfect for littles who don’t know what to get their mamas for Mother’s Day.
What you need:
- 6×9 sheet aluminum foil
- Tissue paper in various colors
- Green chenille stems
- Paper or plastic cup
What you do:
- Cut enough 6×9 rectangles of foil to make the number of flowers you want
- Dilute 3 TBSP glue with 1 TBSP water in a paper or plastic cup
- Cut tissue paper into small squares
- Paint shiny side of foil with diluted glue
- Cover the foil with overlapping tissue squares
- Apply another coat of diluted glue
- Allow to dry
- Once dry, cut the colorful foil into slender, 6-inch strips
- Gather strips together with the paper facing inside
- Optional: Add 2 or 3 green tissue paper strips for leaves
- Pinch ends and securely wrap the base with a chenille stem
- Gently bend each strip down to open the blossom
- Make several to create a beautiful bouquet
You rock, mama. So gather your littles around you and celebrate yourself with them.
Looking for more books for spring? Check out
Latest posts by KT Brison (see all)
- 4 Easy Ways to Include Literature in Your Homeschool - April 19, 2018
- Story Time: Uncle Rocky, Fireman-Picnic - April 16, 2018
- Dinner and a Movie: Hotel for Dogs - April 13, 2018