Isn’t that just about the best Valentine sentiment you can think of?
Guess How Much I love you is such a sweet, lyrical book. I imagine we’ve all read it to our littles at some point, and if you haven’t, do so immediately. It is hard to express the unending amount of love we have for our children. Even they can never understand the truth behind the way we would lay down in traffic for them, take a bullet for them, stand between them and anything that could hurt them. Because of that love. The kind that goes all the way to the moon and back.
Maybe this book can give them a sense of it. Maybe the antics of Little Nutbrown Hare will make them giggle. Maybe the gorgeous watercolors by Anita Jeram will give them that sense of wonder and peace only a good picture book can. Whatever their response, they will be sure to enjoy this beautiful book. Here are some activities for them to enjoy along with it.
Let’s keep it simple (to go along with the simplicity of the story) and just do reading comp. Here’s a free download with some questions about the book for your littles to answer.
Big Nutbrown Hare loves Little Nutbrown Hare all the way to the moon and back. The moon is a fascinating and mysterious object, especially to littles who don’t understand it, but here is a moon unit study to give them a little more information.
There’s a fun, cool project you can do to show your littles how much more Big Nutbrown Hare loves Little Nutbrown Hare. Measure them and yourself from fingertip to fingertip and let them see how big your love is!
What you need:
- Your handy roll of freezer paper (you know I love it) or art paper
- Measuring tape of yardstick
What you do:
- Have your littles lay down on the freezer or art paper with their arms spread out
- Draw a line on the paper from fingertip to fingertip (or trace their arms and head)
- Lay down and have them draw your reach on the paper above theirs
- If Dad is home, measure him, too
Now you have a visual chart to show your littles how much longer your reach is than theirs. Measure it against their height–see if your arms from fingertip to fingertip are really as long as your body.
This really doesn’t work for me, since Middle is now 5 inches taller than me and inherited his dad’s Grape Ape-long arms. It rather looks like he loves me more than I love him. And I know that’s not true.
Another Valentine, y’all. What did you expect?! This one may well be cuter than last week’s. Let’s do this.
What you need:
- 2 pieces red construction paper
- 1 piece pink construction paper
- 1 piece white construction paper
- googly eyes
- 2 pink chenille stems
- Lit Mama’s Bunny Valentine Template
What you do:
- Lay one sheet of red construction paper down as your base.
- Cut the bunny’s heart face and ears out of white construction paper. Leave room to measure out and cut a 1 1/2 inch strip from one long side of the paper. This is where your inner message will go.
- Since you’ve already used the outer part of the ears, cut the inner ears out of the templates, and then cut those and the nose out of pink construction paper.
- Cut the heart-hands out of the second piece of red paper (sorry, some goof forgot to take a picture of that step. Must have been me).
- Lay your message strip across the bottom of your base, but don’t glue it. This is just to judge where you should glue the bunny’s face. Glue the heart point side up just above the strip, then set the strip aside for now.
- Glue the ears to either side of the heart’s point.
- Glue the nose and ears in place as shown above.
- Cut the chenille stems into 1-inch pieces until you have 6 for the whiskers. Glue them into place. Glue on the googly eyes.
- Accordian fold your message strip into an even number of folds. Flatten it out. With a marker, crayons, or colored pencils, have your child write “This much!” in large letters in the middle of the strip.
- Glue the center two folds to the base paper just below the bunny. With a marker or crayons, draw toe marks on the humps of the heart-hands. Glue the heart-hands to the ends of the strips so that they face each other when the strip is folded. Write “Guess how much I love you…” Above the bunny’s head.
How freaking cute is that?!
Bunny’s Carrot Pizza
Easy Peasy snack or lunch for your little nibblers.
What you need:
- 1 tortilla
- broccoli florets
- 1-2 mini carrots
- Ranch dressing or cream cheese
What you do:
- Fold the tortilla in half. Starting at the fold of one end, cut at an angle until you have a point at one end and your angle ends about 1 1/2 inches from the fold at the other. Open the fold. That’s your carrot shape.
- Spread ranch or cream cheese over the carrot shape.
- Place broccoli florets across the wide top.
- Shave mini carrots and cover the rest of the carrot with the shavings.
- Eat that healthy snack!
Have fun playing with all these Guess How Much I Love You activities, but mostly just snuggle into your little while you read this book, inhale his or her scent, and let Big Nutbrown Hare remind you what it means to be a parent.
Latest posts by KT Brison (see all)
- Story Time: A Christmas Star - November 12, 2018
- American Literature for High School - October 25, 2018
- 9 Fun Halloween Printables and Activities for Celebrating - October 18, 2018