I love Uncle Rocky books, and Sparky Protects is no exception. I’ve said it many times, but James Brewster’s amazing picture books about everyday heroes are perfect for kiddos who dream of crime-fighting, firefighting, and saving lives.
With plenty of action and detailed descriptions, Sparky Protects will have your kids cheering for firefighters and appreciating the work a fire dog does.
This post is sponsored by J2B LLC, but the opinions and activities are entirely my own
All that action calls for some stellar activities for your little ones to do as you read them the story, so let’s have some fun.
If you’re going to be a firefighter when you grow up, you need to know how to put on the gear. Grab this free printable for your kids to fill out so they can remember the sequence.
Mentos and Cola Explosion
Sparky saves Uncle Rocky and the crew from an explosion in a house fire. What better way to discuss explosions and their effects than by creating a safe one yourselves? You can easily turn this trick into a science project by doing it several times while changing the variables. Also, you might want to do it outside where you don’t have to mop.
What you need:
- 2 rolls of mint-flavored Mentos
- 3 or more 2-liters of Diet Coke
- 1 2-liter of generic diet cola
- At least 3 sheets of paper to roll into tubes
What you do:
For the explosion:
- Carefully open a bottle of Diet Coke and place it on a flat surface where it won’t tip over
- Roll a sheet of paper into a tube just large enough to hold the Mentos and tape the edge
- Load the tube with 7 Mentos, placing a finger over one end of the tube to keep them from falling out before you’re ready
- Position the tube directly over the bottle opening
- Pull your finger out of the way, allowing all 7 mentos to fall into the bottle at the same time
The explosion will happen immediately, just like a vinegar and baking soda experiment. In this case, the carbon dioxide bubbles cling to thousands of tiny pits on the surface of each Mentos candy and the candy sinks quickly to the bottom, releasing the gas and pushing the liquid up and out of the bottle in a geyser.
To make it a science experiment:
- Drop 7 Mentos in one bottle and 2 or 3 in another. Which number of Mentos causes the biggest explosion (highest geyser)?
- Drop 7 Mentos in a Diet Coke bottle and 7 Mentos in a generic diet cola bottle. Is there a difference in the explosions?
- Chill one of the 2-liters and drop the Mentos into 1 cold bottle and 1 warm bottle. Record the difference in the explosions, if any.
- Measure the height of your geysers by placing the bottle near a wall and measuring the wet spot
- Measure the volume of your geyser by waiting until it has played out, then pouring what is left in the bottle into a measuring cup. 2 liters minus the amount left in the bottle equals the volume of your explosion
Grab a free printable to track your experiments on!
Your littles are going to love making and playing with this. Pair this awesome fire truck with the fireman hat from Rocky’s Fire! Story Time, and you will have some happy kids that will be entertained for hours. Hours, mama.
Egg Carton Fire Truck
What you need:
- Cardboard egg carton
- Craft paint in red, black, yellow, and icy blue or white
- Stapler, tape, and/or glue
What you do:
- Carefully cut top and any other excess away from egg cups
- Carefully cut away 2 egg cups from the end of the carton
- Protect work space and paint remaining egg cups and edges red. Set aside to dry
- While long piece is drying, find the front edge of the short piece and use a pencil to mark off windows at the front. This will be the truck’s cab
- Paint the back side of the cab and all the edges red
- Paint the windows icy blue or white. Set aside to dry
- Cut the carton top to the same length as the long piece of the bottom. This will be the truck bed.
- Paint it red and set aside to dry
- Paint 1st 2 egg cups at either end black for the tires
- Paint a ladder on one side of the truck bed
- Paint yellow lights on top of the cab
- Glue or staple the cab and the bed to the bottom of the truck with the open end of the bed at the back
Hey, if firemen can sit around and eat chocolate chip cookies, then so can we!
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
What you need
I mean, seriously. Grab your kiddos and celebrate firefighters today. Because this stuff is fun.
Super fun, y’all.
Looking for more Story Time fun? Check out: