Last year, I drove all the way to Virginia to attend my first homeschool convention. It wasn’t too bad–only a 9-hour drive and my bestest friend in the whole wide world went with me.
Side note: Can you believe we never once turned the radio on during that whole 9 hours? Not once. Yeah, we like each other.
And attending a convention in person was awesome, I must admit. But this year, I have neither the time or funds to attend a convention in my own state, let alone another one.
Why it’s a good idea to attend a homeschool convention
Do you follow homeschool moms on social media or blogs and wonder how they seem to have it all together? All those pics of kids making projects, building rockets to send hamsters to the moon, and creating lovely art that should be framed in a gallery… Plus, she’s always snapping photos of her home-cooked meals, bragging about her homeschool game plan, and showing you better ways to organize that mountain of books and materials?
She’s got it all figured out while you’re still trying to get your kids to put clothes on for school. Or at least a trip to the grocery store.
(Girl, I hope you don’t think that of me. Having experience and having it all figured out are two very different animals. I’m a hot mess most days trying to fit everything in.)
Here’s the thing, though, and it’s true about me and all the other homeschool gurus out there. We have help.
Sure, we’ve made some mistakes–hasty curriculum purchases, clinging to public school ways, not understanding our children’s learning styles. We learned from them, but we also learn from others.
Attending a homeschool convention is the best way to find like-minded mamas and get advice from people who have been in the trenches and are winning the battle. There’s a sense of camaraderie at a convention that can’t really be found anywhere else. No question is too easy or difficult; there’s always someone who will kindly give you an answer.
I mean, it rocks.
The benefits of an Online homeschool convention
But what if you just can’t afford the money or time to go to a convention? You have kids to care for and feed. Babysitters during the day? What is that?!
Not only do you have to plan and execute the education of your children, you have a house to take care of, a life to live, and maybe even a side job outside the home (Because all of us mamas know that work outside the home is our side job).
Ever considered an online homeschool convention?
Online homeschool conventions have tons of benefits. Here are just a few:
- You can attend in your pajamas. So you don’t have to worry about dressing your kids.
- You can watch the sessions in your own time instead of rushing to get to the presentation room and maybe getting lost in a maze of corridors.
- You can drink coffee from your favorite mug without worrying about spilling it on a stranger.
- You still get to meet some incredible fellow homeschoolers.
- You get practical advice from those homeschooling gurus who have the experience to teach stuff that will eliminate your overwhelm.
- You get bonuses like free printables and other swag
Can you think of a reason not to attend? Yeah, me neither.
2018 Digital Homeschool ConventionAttend the 2018 Digital Homeschool Convention in your pajamas and get ready for the new school year!Click To Tweet
This is the 3rd year for the Digital Homeschool Convention, and it’s seriously going to rock.
- 20 pre-recorded speaking sessions
- Topics like teaching math, time management, special needs, and overwhelm
- It’s free for the week of July 8-14
- You can buy a membership for $15 and get access to all past sessions, too
- $15 is a lot cheaper than $200 a ticket
- My session, Homeschooling with a Literature-Rich Curriculum is crammed with info
- Yeah, you read that right. I’m totally a speaker this year. So excited!
Listen, we all get overwhelmed. Most of us even consider quitting and sending our kids to public school at some point. Some of us aren’t so good at math, others aren’t sure about commas.
We need help.
We need companionship.
We need to be reminded that we can do this.
We need to be able to get all that without leaving the house.
Go register for the 2018 Digital Homeschool Convention and get what ya need.
Looking for more homeschool help? Check out:
Latest posts by KT Brison (see all)
- Earn College Credit for Homeschoolers with DSST Exams - July 5, 2018
- The Benefits of an Online Homeschool Convention - July 3, 2018
- Earn a FREE Musical Instrument and Change a Life - June 25, 2018